DIY home repairs are very popular with mechanically inclined homeowners who, armed with the proper tools and instructions, can save significant sums of money and earn a feeling of satisfaction through the appropriate use of the excellent selection of materials and instructions available from home repair shops.
But there are limits. DIYers must be able and willing to recognize and avoid those projects that present physical dangers to himself or others. Or, that require not just adequate instructions, but, also the experience of a roofing contractor to avoid the need for an expensive recovery repair. Also, failure to get proper and timely inspections required by building codes may require an expensive redo.
There are simple roof repairs suitable for DIY projects; but most are advisably performed by competent roofing contractors.
Roofing Contractor vs DIY
Suitable DIY tasks include:
• Replacement of a single edge row tile or shingle where the work can be done safely from a well positioned ladder without actually getting up on the roof.
• Removal of leaves and other debris collections
• Clean-out of gutters and downspouts.
Projects that are best performed by roofing contractors are:
• Any roof repair that requires actually getting up onto the roof; especially high pitched roofs or those of great height, unless proper protection against falling is used. Falling from heights has been cited by the Home Safety Council as the leading cause of deaths at home. Any money saved by a DIY roof repair does not come close to compensating for the expense and heartbreak from injury or death resulting from an ill-advised roof repair attempt.
• Repairing of any leak, even a small one. Locating the true leak source can be elusive. Water stains on the ceiling or in the sub-roof area can be some distance from the actual leak resulting in a misplaced repair. The leak may have resulted in dry rot requiring a more extensive than that apparent to the DIYer.; Or, the leak may be around flashing where repairs require the skills of roofing contractors.
• Any hurricane or other storm damage. Effectively assessing the true extent of damage and the required repairs is beyond the abilities of most DIYers. Failure to properly assess the damage can result in later extensive and expensive, corrective repairs.
For a free estimate and expert assessment of your roof repairs in the Ft. Lauderdale area contact Chase Roofing and Contracting immediately when a needed repair is identified.